Tuesday 3 September 2013

Volume 64: The King's Lament

I swear
I don't believe in love
But you've never seen the way
They all watch her move
She glides across the black and white tiles
Back straight
Head high
Everyone in the room
Mesmerized

I swear
I don't believe in love
But the way she stood
By my side
Bathed in glowing white
I gave her the world
Just to watch her make it shine
She turned my kingdom
Into her ballroom

I swear
I don't believe in love
But my naivety
States otherwise
I gave her too much freedom
I let her dance too long
The knight that finally stopped her
Sadly
Wasn't mine

I swear
I don't believe in love
Were it not for the kingdom
I'd have bowed to grief
I'd have clothed myself in black
A white flag to the enemy
Instead I retreat to the shadows
To a throne painted black
And let my soldiers grieve for me

I swear
I don't believe in love
I seek vengeance
A cold dish
On a silver plate
But the lives of eight men
Are not sacrifice enough
For the single one
Of my late queen

I swore
I didn't believe in love
But I've come to know
Desperation
Towers falling one by one
A kingdom crumbling
On tiles stained red
Nothing's more vulnerable
Than a lonely king

1 comment: